Earth Ways is a Regenerative Culture Enterprise, initiated by Ludwig in 2007.
About Ludwig Leòdhas Appeltans
When I was 8, I realised that I was different than other people. I noticed that adults were essentially identifying with a character and not aware of it. I decided I didn’t want to be like them and refused to grow up. Spoiler, I didn’t. I rebelled throughout my childhood and was deeply traumatised by the school system and … healed by nature.
Now, fast forward, many years later, I understand that I am an Autistic adult. I am proudly neurodivergent and have self diagnosed to have Aspergers.
To sum up the uniqueness this brings to me personality and my enterprise:
– I am not easily distracted by social static like chit chat, popularity contests or other social ‘games’ that most people play. The understanding doesn’t come naturally to me. Instead I observe and operate on a level of complete authenticity and truth. A recent new connection told me that I am one of the most socially capable people they know. This is because I approach social interaction on a conscious level and am hyper sensitive and can read people easily. It is not my comfort zone. I have high functioning Aspergers.
– To be able to understand my world better, I have specialised in observing human behaviour and have studied psychology. I understand and operate foremost on the level of non-verbal communication. I have separated myself from Western Culture for 4 years when I went to live in the forest. This long hermit time in nature has given me an opportunity to gain a unique perspective on my own conditioning and on Western culture and decolonise myself gain my freedom. This treasure of skills and experiences enable me to help create a connecting culture, a regenerative Culture in my own being and around me.
This also enables me to see manipulative behaviour easily, which combined with my disregard for being popular, makes me not always liked within a certain group of people 😉
– I am able to observe and receive and process lots of information at the same time and hold large amounts of information in my awareness all in one. From unknown amounts of small details to the whole overview. This does take a lot of energy from me, so I do need to rest a lot and spend time alone in nature to recover. This capacity makes me an excellent permaculture designer but also a bit of a hermit.
– My mind works much faster than most other peoples’, but can get overloaded easily too. I can get deeply obsessed with certain topics. My pet subject for 42 years already is: find a solution so that we won’t go extinct. I started looking when I learned that trees produce the oxygen that we breathe and
I persuaded my parents to plant an oak tree in the garden. My passion for a regenerative culture was born, even though I didn’t know the word! Once I learned of the challenges we would face for survival from the 6 o’clock news, I never was able to carry on with life as ‘normal’. I was obsessively looking out for solutions and learning new things that would be useful in the challenged future we are in now. As a kid it was about building fortresses and reading book about heroes and native peoples. Once I was old enough to make my own choices, I changed the direction of my life to train myself to be ready to be part of the solution I since identified as being the root cause:
a regenerative culture as opposed to a disconnecting culture.
I have looked into as many aspects of that massive topic as I can imagine: permaculture growing and forest gardening, permaculture design, psychology, trauma healing, spirituality, peace making, healthy sexuality, simple technology life hacks, culture and community, democracy, activism, education, land management, survival skills, nature connection, mental and physical health and well-being, circular economy, good food, grief tending… I am still learning more every day and have connected with a rich network of experts in their fields.
– Nature is always real and doesn’t play games in which I do not fully understand the rules, which is what normal social interactions for most of you, looks like to me. So I have felt a desire to be deeply connected with nature instead. Over the years my connection with nature has included playing in the rain as a child, being a scout master in my late teens, organizing survival expeditions for kids in care in my early twenties and living entirely off grid in a Scottish woodland on the West Coast for 4 years in a self-made shelter with a wood burning stove. This 4 year long hermit phase, living on my own in the woods, gave me a unique experience. I learned to connect with and read my ecosystem to be able to live in harmony with it. I managed to unlearn the conditioning from Colonial Culture that inhibits our human development and retrain myself to unleash my full human potential. The forest switched on all my senses and made me into the man I am born to be: A village builder, a teacher, a designer for a resilient future. A warrior for peace, justice and the planet. But most of all: a mentor to help other people connect with nature, themselves and others.
About the solution I Designed:
I am ready for what is to come as best as I can be. The solution I have dreamed up to contribute my part to the survival of our species:
A 15 acre rock in the sea off the Isle the Skye. Home for a small residential community, unimaginable amount of opportunities to create resilience for all it’s members and for the local community. A place to come and rest and heal. A place to come and learn and be inspired. A place to be part of the solution. Read more here.
- A Virtual Village too. A place to connect, learn and trade. You are invited to join here.
About Earth Ways
I have created Earth Ways in 2007 as the enterprise face of my presence on this planet, to earn the coins I need to fund my self and my work.
I offer you my services as a forest garden, permaculture, regenerative culture designer and teacher, and as a nature connection mentor. Feel free to contact me if I can help you in providing solutions for sustainable ways of living that work in collaboration with nature rather than continually fighting against it. I have many years experience of restoring natural habitats, re-introducing biodiversity, pioneering sustainable ways of growing food and harvesting bio fuels, designing permanent culture projects of various sizes as well as mentoring in nature connection, regenerative design, bushcraft and survival skills.
I can offer online and in real life talks, workshops and courses for individuals or for groups. Feel free to contact me for a chat.
You can find testimonies from former students, clients and other people I have inspired here.
It is good to know that you need to Join the Virtual Village to hire me. I want to pioneer a local economy and I accept payment in Rubha Rocks only. You can buy Rubha Rocks or earn them on the Village. You can learn more here.
Some video’s about me and my work
Relevant Papers and certificates
I went to school in a Roman inspired classical setting. I studied Latin, mathematics, languages, sciences….
I have studied as a graduate in Ortho-pedagogy (pedagogy is the science of teaching and Ortho indicated a specialisation in special needs) and worked professionally in that field with people of all ages for 10+ years.
I obtained my Permaculture Designer Certificate in 2009 from Patrick Whitefield, the famous author of many permaculture books and foremost permaculture expert in Britain.
In 2010 I successfully completed a course in Permaculture Training of Teachers organized by ‘Designed Visions‘.
I also had my first encounter with the Art of Mentoring and the 8-shields institute, in 2009, where I learn ingenious indigenous ways of passing on knowledge and assisting nature connection. I have since taken part in 4 of these as participant and staff member and have organised and taken part in many smaller events.
I am a member of the Permaculture Association and am a Registered Permaculture Teacher.
Since 2011 I organized Permaculture Design and Nature Awareness Courses that reflects my own permaculture learning curve. If I may say so myself, they are a great success! I have taught more than 12 such courses and have written more than 100 certificates. Many former students are now teaching onwards.
In 2012 have set up a permaculture farm near Forres, with pigs, sheep, ducks, chickens, bees and lots of delicious vegetables. After 5 years this project moved to Rubha Phoil on the Isle of Skye.
In 2013 I started a Community Interest Company to help people crowdfund without charges, the funds they need for their ethically sound projects: www.earth-ways.com
I’m teaching courses, and am taking clients for permaculture design and consultation.
This project is slowly progressing into a nature-based permaculture community.
I have created a Virtual Village to bring all people together that want to work towards a better world.
Earth Ways or Ludwig in the media:
One of many arrests as a non-violent accountable peace activist. This one was for entering Prestwick Airport and entering a plane of the US air-force, looking for evidence of war crimes being committed in the attack by Israel against The Lebanon in 2006. Bunker Buster bombs were killing scores of women and children hiding from the violence in places they thought they were safe. I was acquitted.
Drawing attention to the stupidity of the invasion of Afghanistan. This is a banner drop on the Belfort in Gent, Belgium.
As a member of Trident Ploughshares, Ludwig went to jail twice for non violent peace activism. Both sentences were for convictions for actions against the Trident Nuclear war system. I refused to pay the fines and went to prison instead.
Maybe my best accolade: Ludwig is called a parasite by the Sheriff: ‘Sheriff Smith said: ”I look upon you so-called peace protesters as parasites, causing untold damage to fences, disrupting the base and wasting this country’s money which could be spent elsewhere.’
A short movie made by Schnews about the occupation of a mast in Berkshire, to highlight the collaboration of the UK with the US military in the illegal invasion of Iraq.
Ludwig and Suzanne de Waard wrote an article on how to make your own permaculture polytunnel. It is published here”
This article on how to live with slugs in your permaculture garden shows nicely how Earth Ways puts nature connection and ecosystem management central in the courses and workshops.