How you can help us
– Do you have unwanted items that might be of use to us? You can check this page if it is on our wishlist. Or contact us.
– We are looking for some volunteers residential or locals, with the usual growing, sowing, soil regeneration, garden and mulching and any other permaculture farming skills or desires to learn them… To come and help us on the location, but also people to help us remotely.
— Important update: —
We are on a mission to build a new shower block and work on our track. This needs to be ready before May 1st. So we are looking for people with DIY skills or happy to do some heavy work. Someone willing to cook for us would be great too.
More specifically we also need:
… painters, artists, project managers, WordPress website builders, community builders, dry stane dykers, cooks, designers, sponsors, new members, joiners, kayaks, welders, scuba divers, cliff climbers, handy DIY people, musicians, video makers…
We have some more specialised projects on the go: Natural building projects, Woodwork, Geodesic dome construction, aquaponics construction, canvas sowing, plumbing, 12V electrical systems, …
We will always make sure that there is a fair balance between learning, work and play and if you are wwoofing, with food and accommodation.
– 12V electrical systems: We are installing a 12V system in our house. Pretty complicated, but very exciting! We need someone who is comfortable with electrics and or able to self learn enough to install it, with our help.
– We are looking for some people willing to mine some rocks from our quarry and repair the track.
– We need someone to coordinate a road upgrade project.
– Woodwork: We need someone willing to help build us a shower block.
– We want to construct our geodesic dome. It is nearly ready, it will take a few days of sewing the remaining of the canvas. Experience with sowing machines is helpful. Two people to do this together will help.
The amount of beds are limited, so if you are willing to stay in a tent (in warmer seasons) that makes it easier to be able to come and stay with us, but we do have some spaces indoors available.
Please take into account that we cannot yet easily accept families with children as volunteers and that, if you want to stay here, we have a minimum stay of 14 days. No pets. Sorry. Please have a look at either of the following pages for more information:
What to bring:
The Isle of Skye is on the West coast of Scotland. This means it can get very wet and sometimes very windy. Bring good shoes, wellies, raincoat and waterproof clothing. Other useful things are camping gear if you would like to explore nature in that way. A torch, computer things, musical instruments, binoculars,…
If you are able to, bring your own bedding. (We do have spare ones if you need it)
If travelling from abroad:
From within the EU. There don’t seem to be any problems for 2019 and first half of 2020.
From outside the EU.
Wwoof has written a simple visa guide here.
When applying, please mention how you intend to travel and if it includes flying. If it does, please explain why you think this is necessary. As you know we are a permaculture project and flying doesn’t normally fit into that picture. But we are not dogmatic and can be persuaded that exceptions can be necessary.
Please remember to check the visiting guidelines in regards to food, pets, alcohol and drugs etc, before turning up on our doorstep.
Where are we?
You can find out how to get to us on the Contact page.
How can I apply to volunteer?
Send us a message on our Contact page with this information:
– Name and age and gender and ways to contact you.
– Relevant things for us to know. Like food preferences, allergies, relevant medical needs, other needs etc…
– What skills do you have? Why would it be good for us to have you join us? What makes you happy?
– Why do you want to volunteer with us? What do you hope to gain from this experience?
– How do you intend to travel to us? Where are you travelling from?
– What are your preferred dates?
– Do you have a website or social media channels that shows us who you are and what you do?
We will answer your message as quickly as we can. Usually it takes a few days.