How you can help us
– join the community. Are you or do you know someone that might be interested? Please share this page with them: join.
– Do you have unwanted items that might be of use to us? You can check this page if it is on our wishlist. Or contact us.
– We are looking for some volunteers residential or locals, with the usual growing, sowing, soil regeneration, garden and mulching and any other permaculture farming skills or desires to learn them… To come and help us on the location, but also people to help us remotely.
— Important update: —
We are on a mission to build a new shower block and work on our track. This needs to be ready soon. So we are also looking for people with DIY skills or happy to do some heavy work. These can be paid for jobs for the people with the right skills and experience. We can make different agreements about housing and ‘community rules’ for people who want to stay with us while doing these paid for jobs.
More specifically we also need:
… cooks, painters, writers, artists, singers, project managers, WordPress website builders, community builders, dry stane dykers, cookie bakers, designers, sponsors, new members, chocolate makers, joiners, kayakers, welders, scuba divers, cliff climbers, handy DIY people, musicians, video makers…
We have some more specialised projects on the go: Natural building projects, Woodwork, Geodesic dome construction, aquaponics construction, canvas sowing, plumbing, 12V electrical systems…
We will always make sure that there is a fair balance between learning, work and play and with food and accommodation. Or with money if your skills need rewarding higher.
– 12V electrical systems: We are installing a 12V system in our house. Pretty complicated, but very exciting! We need someone who is comfortable with electrics and or able to self learn enough to install it, with our help.
– We are looking for some people willing to jack hammer some rocks from our quarry and repair the track.
– We need someone to coordinate a road upgrade project.
– Woodwork: We need someone willing to help build us a shower block.
– We want to construct our geodesic dome. It is nearly ready, it will take a few days of sewing the remaining of the canvas. Experience with sowing machines is helpful. Two people to do this together will help.
The amount of beds are limited, so if you are willing to stay in a tent (in warmer seasons) that makes it easier to be able to come and stay with us, but we do have some spaces indoors available.
Please take into account that we have a minimum stay of 6 weeks but prefer even longer.
We also cannot accept pets and our community is alcohol and drugs free.
What to bring:
The Isle of Skye is on the West coast of Scotland. This means it can get very wet and sometimes very windy. Bring good shoes, wellies, raincoat and waterproof clothing. Other useful things are camping gear if you would like to explore nature in that way. A torch, computer things, musical instruments, binoculars,…
If you are able to, bring your own bedding. (We do have spare ones if you need it)
If travelling from abroad:
From within the EU. We don’t know what Brexit will do to us. But we expect that the UK will want to encourage visitors to come to the UK. The financial crash and lack of workers will likely force the UK to keep the borders open or easily accessible.
From outside the EU.
We can’t give any visa advise as this is continuously changing. We do know that many volunteers struggle to persuade officials that volunteering is not the same as working and that usually a working visa would be required. Tourists visa are usually easier to get, but we’re not sure if you’d be allowed to come and volunteer with us on a tourist visa. Best ask your embassy for advice on how to fill in the forms best.
When applying with us, please mention how you intend to travel and if it includes flying. If it does, please explain why you think this is necessary. As you know we are a permaculture project and flying doesn’t normally fit into that picture. But we are not dogmatic and can be persuaded that exceptions can be necessary.
Please remember to check the visiting guidelines in regards to food, pets, alcohol and drugs etc, before turning up on our doorstep.
Please adhere to the Scottish government Corona guidelines when you travel to our island.
Where are we?
You can find out how to get to us on the Contact page.
How can I apply to volunteer?
Send us a message on our Contact page with this information:
– Name and age and gender and ways to contact you.
– Relevant things for us to know. Like food preferences, allergies, relevant medical needs, other needs etc…
– What skills do you have? Why would it be good for us to have you join us? What makes you happy?
– Why do you want to volunteer with us? What do you hope to gain from this experience?
– Do you wear masks? Are you careful out there to not catch the virus? Do you accept the science? What are your sources of information? Are you willing to go into quarantine for 14 days on your own in a caravan in our forest?
– How do you intend to travel to us? Where are you travelling from?
– What are your preferred dates?
– Do you have a CV, website or social media channels that shows us who you are and what you do?
If you want to join us on a different basis for longer: as a paid staff member, community member, etc, have a look at our application form on this page here.
We will answer your message as quickly as we can. Usually it takes a few days. You are welcome to prompt us if it takes longer.